5 tips to get the most of your health insurance
Tip #1: Make sure you understand your health plan. For example, by law, all individual and small group health plans include 10 “essential” benefits. Pay close attention to the benefits that are available with no copay or coinsurance before your deductible is met.
Tip #2: Schedule annual preventive service tests and screenings. All insured health plans and many other plans cover a comprehensive list of preventive services without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. Your deductible does not apply!
Tip #3: Make the most of your plan if you max out your deductible. Once you’ve met your deductible in most plans, you’ll pay significantly less out of pocket for any healthcare you use above and beyond that. So when you meet your deductible for the year, schedule other services you need at a decreased cost.
Tip #4: Stick with in-network providers. The lowest charges are for doctors, hospitals, and labs that participate in your insurance network. Also check to make sure doctors who treat your children are in network.
Tip #5: Take advantage of your plan’s freebies and incentives.
• The MDA Health Plan has free onboarding software with EaseCentral, a free mobile app, and some plans have health assessments and healthy-living rewards.
• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) plans have a free mobile app, healthy living education, disease management guidance and discounts and many plans offer support to help you quit smoking.
MDA Insurance offers the gamut of insurance coverage for you, your family and employees. Call 877-906-9924 for more information.
Open enrollment for 2021 health plans
Depending on the type of health coverage you need, the enrollment period for starting new plans, making changes to existing plans, or adding participants will vary:
- Individual health plans: Open enrollment for 2021 health plans has ended. New plans such as MyBlue or subsidized health plans purchased through MDA Insurance via the online Marketplace, will be begin Nov. 1 through Dec. 15 for a Jan. 1 effective date. It is the only time you can start a new individual plan unless you experience a qualifying event.
- MDA Health Plan: New plans can be started at any time during the year! The window for adding new participants or making changes to existing plans is Oct. 15 through Nov. 30 for a Jan. 1 effective date.
- Small group plans: New plans can be started at any time during the year! The window for adding new participants or making changes to existing plans is during the month of the enrollment anniversary.
- Medicare Supplement plans, Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans: Open enrollment will open again Oct. 15 through Dec. 7 for a Jan. 1 effective date. This is the time for changes to new Medicare plans.
- MDA Health Plan: Our proprietary self-insured group plan
- MDA Retiree Health Plan
- Group Health Insurance Plans – Blue Cross ® Blue Shield ® of Michigan, Blue Care Network of Michigan
- My BlueSM – Individual Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance (VSP)
- Tips for understanding your plan: Deductibles, copays and coinsurance >>
- Urgent alert regarding Michigan Auto Insurance No-Fault changes
You have probably heard about changes to the Michigan No-Fault law that took effect July 2, 2020, but may not realize how you are impacted. It’s critical you understand what these changes mean to you and your auto insurance policy. If you have questions or wish to discuss options, call MDA Insurance at (800) 860-2272 and speak with one of our personal lines agents as soon as possible. LEARN MORE>>
Personal Appointments Available
MDA Insurance provides the option of on-site visits or “Zoom” (a free-downloadable application that allows parties to see one another, converse and share documents using PCs, laptops or mobile phones) meetings to discuss the issues that apply to your particular situation. To schedule a visit at your convenience, please call 877-906-9924 and ask for an appointment.