“Short-Term Medical” policies are temporary medical insurance coverage. This coverage does NOT qualify as health insurance under the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and cannot be used to meet the ACA’s requirement for individual health insurance. They are specifically designed to provide a bridge should you find yourself without coverage until the next enrollment period to get ACA-compliant coverage.
The maximum term length is 6 months. Eligible expenses caused by illness or injury and incurred from any doctor or any hospital within the USA will be reimbursed to you after the deductible. They permit you to choose your deductible, allowing you to control your coverage and its price. Unlike major medical or long-term plans, short-term medical insurance also allows you to purchase coverage in monthly increments and is paid by credit card in an automatic monthly payment. Coverage can be effective the following day of enrollment. Short-term plans exclude pre-existing condition coverage, meaning that if you have a condition that has required medical attention, that condition would be excluded from coverage under your short-term medical plan.
We have two carriers available for short-term policies:
How coverage works
- All expenses are applied toward the deductible.
- Once the out-of-pocket maximum has been fulfilled, the policy will cover 100 percent of eligible expenses ranging from $600,000 to $2 million depending on the plan.
The Short-Term Major Medical plans are set up to be as simple as possible. Policy maximum and deductible are per person, per policy period. Deductibles range from $500 to $12,500.
- Hospital Expenses
- Physician Services:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Home Health Care
- Ambulance Services Expenses
- Prescription Drugs: A discount prescription drug card is offered through United Healthcare and Priority Health. This benefit will give you a percentage off at your local pharmacy. Click here to view Rx benefits for United Healthcare.
Policy Period: The Short-Term Major Medical Plan is a temporary plan and has a maximum policy period of 3 months.
For All Your Insurance Needs
MDA Insurance offers a complete range of insurance solutions to fit your personal and business needs. Please call MDA Insurance at 800.860.2272 or click on the links below for more information.